Do you struggle to get out of bed every morning? A bad sleep, low mood, crap job, amongst other reasons are enough to make you want to keep hitting snooze, but a little self care can make mornings sooo much easier.
My top tips to help you bounce out of bed each morning:
- Go to bed earlier – start by tuning into when your body is feeling tired. Often this is far sooner than we actually allow ourselves to hit the hay. It may seem obvious, but allow yourself to go to bed when you’re tired.
- Ease off the alcohol – as nice as that glass of wine tastes, alcohol is a known stimulant (distrupts sleep) and depressant (it can lower your mood). Ensure you plan some alcohol-free nights throughout the week and try to limit the number of drinks you have on other nights.
- Eat a balanced evening dinner – enjoy a balanced meal that’s not too heavy on carbs, and contains a palm-size portion of protein at least 3 hours before you go to bed. High amounts of carbs at night time (including dessert!) can lead to blood sugar fluctuations which may disrupt sleep.
- Ask yourself if there’s something about your lifestyle you need to change – is it the crap/stressful job that’s affecting your sleep, mood or ability to get out of bed each morning? What is your capacity to make a change? It’s never too late for career change! (Warning if you want to become a naturopath it takes years!)
- See a naturopath – there are natural ways to help sleep and improve your morning energy. Ask your naturopath about herbs which can help you deal with stess or support your mood. I love helping patients get a good night’s sleep – some small diet and lifestyle adjustments together with herbs can be literally life-changing!