Protein rich smoothie? …Yes please!!
Including protein at each meal can help sustain your energy levels, reduce blood sugar peaks and troughs, support a happy mood, plus much more! It’s especially important to be aware of your protein intake if you follow an exclusively plant based diet.
Smoothies are a yummy way to start the day, but watch out for how much protein is in there! Most café-bought smoothies are full of fruit and not much else, so they may not be a sustaining meal or snack. When you have options to add ingredients, go for seeds, nuts or quality protein powder to boost the protein content.
Here’s one of my favourite protein-rich smoothie recipes I’m blending up at the moment…
- 1 banana (fresh/frozen)
- 2 cups raspberries (frozen)
- 1 lime – zest and juice
- ½ cup of cashews (ideally soak these for a few hours first)
- 2 tbsp protein powder (I used @amazoniaco)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 cups almond milk (look for a variety with a higher % of almonds)
- Splash coconut milk (optional)